Contact Sitemap


Home   >   Settlement   >   Transportation


KCWA Family and Social Services is a non-profit organization established in 1985 by a group of women who were concerned with women and family issues and serves women, men, senior and youth all of them.

How can I travel within Ontario?

Ontario is a large province, made up of larger cities and smaller towns. There are different ways to travel within Ontario, depending on your budget, time and needs. Buses, trains and airlines go to many places in Ontario. All cities are connected by paved highways. The Ontario government operates Travel Information Centres that provide tourist information, maps and directions. Visit one of their locations or call 1-800-ONTARIO (1-800-668-2746) for more information. Bus travel is often the cheapest way to travel between Ontario cities. Sometimes, it is the only way to travel between smaller towns and cities, other than driving. Bus lines offering service throughout Ontario include:

  • Greyhound: servicing all Ontario.

  • Ontario Northland: servicing Toronto, central Ontario and northern Ontario.

  • Coach Canada: servicing the southern part of the province from Windsor to Montreal.

  • GO Buses: servicing the area from Niagara Falls to Peterborough.

To find local information on bus lines and the nearest bus station, look in the telephone book under "bus lines."

The TTC(Toronto Transit Commission) is the third largest transit system in North America. Get to know how the TTC is investing for the future, improving customer service, is still the best deal on wheels, is contributing to a healthy economy and environment, and needs a better funding solution.

Service Information:

  • What time does the subway start and end?
    The subway hours of operation on weekdays and Saturdays are approximately 6 a.m. to 1:30 a.m., and Sunday service approximately 8 a.m. to 1:30 a.m.

  • What time does the subway start on Holidays?
    On Christmas Day and New Year's Day, the subway starts at approximately 9 a.m. Typically, Holiday service for buses and streetcars vary, see your route schedule online, or call Customer Informationat 416-393-4636.

  • How do I get a bus schedule for my route?
    You can access all route schedules from the TTC's website. If you do not have an internet connection, Customer Information Representatives can mail a schedule out to you. To do so, call 416-393-4636 and press "0" to speak with a representative.

  • Can I get to the Toronto Pearson International Airport on the TTC?
    Yes, the TTC provides four services to the Airport. The 192 Airport Rocket route provides all-day accessible express bus service from Kipling station; the 58A Malton route provides all-day bus service from Lawrence West station; the 300A Bloor-Danforth route provides overnight bus service from Warden Avenue, west along Danforth and Bloor street to the Airport; and the 307 Eglinton West route provides overnight bus service from Yonge street & Eglonton avenue to the Airport. For detials, see Service to Pearson International Airport.

Wheel-Trans ParaTransit Door-to-Door Service

As of January 1, 2017, Wheel-Trans expanded its eligibility to include persons with sensory, cognitive, mental health and physical disabilities. The Wheel-Trans eligibility application form (the application) is available online, or by email WTeligibility@ttc.ca or by calling 416-393-4111. Alternative accessible formats are available upon request.

Persons who believe they qualify for and are interested in becoming Wheel-Trans customers should complete and sign the application. To ensure a fast and seamless application process, be sure to complete the application in full. Incomplete forms may be returned to the applicant for completion. TTC is committed to providing a fair and objective eligibility process for all our applicants. To ensure we correctly match our transit services to your abilities, you may be requested to attend a functional assessment, in addition to submitting an application, to learn more about your abilities in performing activities related to travelling on transit. Your category of eligibility will be based on the information provided in your application and the results of a functional assessment (if required).

Support Person Assistance Card

A support person accompanying a person with a disability is not required to pay a fare when travelling on the TTC. Customers with disabilities who travel with a support person on the TTC must apply for a TTC Support Person Assistance Card to be eligible for this fare exemption. A support person is someone who assists the card holder with communication, mobility, personal care/medical needs or with access to goods, services or facilities.

Upon payment of fare by or for the card holder, the Support Person Assistance Card permits one (1) support person to travel with the card holder on the TTC on a single fare. Additional companions must pay a fare. A card holder may travel with differenct support persons at different times.


If you live in Ontario, you must be at least 16 years old and have a valid Ontario driver's licence to drive in this province. If you are a visitor to Ontario and want to drive while you are here, you must be at least 16 years old and have a valid driver's licence from your own province, state or country. If you are from another country and visiting Ontario for more than three months, you need an International Driver's Permit from your own country.

If you are taking up residence, you must get an Ontario driver's licence. If you are a new resident in Ontario and have a valid driver's licence from another province, state or country, you can use it for 60 days after you move to Ontario. If you become a resident of Ontario, you must get an Ontario driver's licence. Ontario has licence exchange agreements with every Canadian province and territory and Korea. Being a safe and responsible driver takes a combination of knowledge, skill and attitude.

To begin, you must know the traffic laws and driving practices that help traffic move safely. Breaking these "rules of the road" is the major cause of collisions. Traffic laws include the traffic signs and lights, pedestrian signals and pavement markings that tell drivers and other road users what they must do in certain situations.

Here are some important tips for safe driving on Ontario roads

  • When an emergency vehicle is approaching your vehicle from any direction with its flashing red or red and blue lights, or siren or bell sounding, you are required to bring your vehicle to an immediate stop. When bringing your vehicle to a stop, you are required to bring your vehicle as near as is practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. When on a one-way road or divided highway having more than two lanes of traffic, move to the closest curb or edge of the roadway. Your vehicle should be parallel to the roadway and clear of any intersections, including highway on/off ramps. Do not move onto or stop on the shoulder of the roadway as emergency vehicles may be travelling along it.

  • You must come to a complete stop for all stop signs and red traffic lights. Stop at the stop line if it is marked on the pavement.

  • School buses in Ontario come in a range of sizes. All are chrome yellow and display the words "School Bus." You must stop whenever you approach a stopped school bus with its upper alternating red lights flashing, regardless of whether you are behind the bus or approaching it from the front. When approaching the bus from the front, stop at a safe distance for children to get off the bus and cross the road in front of you. If you are coming from behind the bus, stop at least 20 metres away. Do not go until the bus moves or the lights have stopped flashing.

  • Do not park within three metres of a fire hydrant, on or within 100 metres of a bridge or within six metres of a public entrance to a hotel, theatre or public hall when it is open to the public.

  • A stop sign is eight-sided and has a red background with white letters. It means you must come to a complete stop. Stop at the stop line if it is marked on the pavement. If there is no stop line, stop at the crosswalk. If there is no crosswalk, stop at the edge of the sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk, stop at the edge of the intersection. Wait until the way is clear before entering the intersection.

  • This is a pedestrian crossover. Be prepared to stop and yield right-of-way to pedestrians.