Contact Sitemap


Home   >   Family   >   FAQ


KCWA Family and Social Services is a non-profit organization established in 1985 by a group of women who were concerned with women and family issues and serves women, men, senior and youth all of them.
  • Q) How is child custody determined?

  • A) In Canada, the Family Law says that both parents have the same right to raise their children and to make decisions about how they take care of their children in most cases. If you want to get a divorce from your spouse and apply for custody at the same time, you can make your custody application under Divorce Act. To seek more legal advice, please find a family lawyer or family law legal clinic in your local community. Also, you can visit websites which provides with information on family law as follows:

  • Q) I’m in Canada without legal status. If I leave my husband or partner, could I be deported to my country without my children?

  • A) If your relationship broke down because your spouse abused or neglected you or your children, you can apply for an exception to conditional permanent residence. To get more information, please contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) at 1-888-242-2100 or visit the links the below:

    Also, an immigration lawyer can help you decide what the best option is for your situation.

  • Q) I decided to leave an abusive relationship. How can I find a safe place for my child and myself?

  • A) You can find organizations and call women’s help lines which provide services and referrals for victims of domestic violence. Please visit websites below;

    • 211 Ontario

    • Assaulted Women's Helpline

      Toll-free: 1-866-863-0511 / Toronto area: 416-863-0511
      Toll-free TTY: 1-866-863-7868 / Toronto area TTY: 416-364-8762
      #SAFE: #7233 on your Bell, Rogers, FIDO, or Telus mobile phone

    • Women’s shelter Central Intake (416-338-4786) / Central Family Intake (416-397-5637)

  • Q) I left my abusive relationship because I could no longer endure her husband's abuses. However, he has been threatening to take my children from me. I don’t know how I should deal with this issue.

  • A) Many abusers threaten victims with their children after their spouse or partners left them. Therefore, you need to find a lawyer to seek legal advice about your situation. If you have limited income and cannot afford a lawyer, you can visit community legal clinics and duty counsel at courts and tribunals. For more information on finding a lawyer, please visit this sites

  • Q) If I were separated from my spouse more than 1 year, could I automatically get a divorce?

  • A) To find specific information on getting a divorce in Ontario, please visit these websites below;

  • Q) I need a lawyer to seek legal advice but can’t afford it. How can I get support?

  • A) You can get legal assistance from Legal Aid Ontario. For more information, please visit the websites. Or, call the LAO client service centre at 1-800-668-8258 or 416-979-1446. The TTY numbers are 1-866-641-8867 and 416-598-8867.